Wednesday, February 23, 2011

br'er fox..

eats br'er rabbit..sorry!!

so I hear that UCSB is planning to save a species of bird called the light-footed clapper rail ...it's been hanging out in the Carpinteria Salt Marsh because it likes marshes..UCSB owns a sliver of the Salt Marsh with the City of Carpinteria and other entities like me..I own some of it since I pay taxes...years ago, Carpinteria saved the marsh from being paved over for condos!

now, my encounter with an osprey was wonderful...this once threatened bird is healthy and thriving...remove DDT from the equation and the bird survives...DDT. insectides, poison bait traps in the wild..I have confirmed there is no end to human stupidity....not all of us, but many are just doggone dumb!

saving the osprey didn't require killing, trapping or harassing other species..it required that people stop doing things that harm their environment....believe me, if I had a choice of saving that obese slob New Jersey governor Chris Christie or an osprey, I'd pick the osprey...

so the UCSB biologists have decided that family of red foxes living at the Salt Marsh are a threat to the clapper and want to "relocate"them..that means killing or harrassing them...this pisses me off..I like foxes..they are cool and to know they are living at the marsh is even better...and if they kill to eat it is because they are predators...why oh why do biologists hate predators?? predators are our friends!! even in their own research they can't determine why the clapper population fluctuates...they tried removing foxes years ago somewhere else, but it didn't matter to the clappers..they lived and died anyway!

Implementation of predator control programs have resulted in an increase of rail numbers,

specifically at Seal Beach NWR. In 1986 the Service and the U.S. Navy began trapping and

removing red foxes from Seal Beach NWR. The first red fox den on the refuge was found in

1980. A total of 59 foxes were removed during the first year of trapping in 1986. Over the next

two years 185 red foxes were removed and by 1989 the rail numbers rebounded to the highest

levels recorded. Since that time the rail numbers have fluctuated and are currently down again.

The stimulus for the decline is unknown but one possibility could be raptor predation...

....the biologists are playing a guessing game because they don't know WTF they are talking about..unlike me, who knows what he's talking about..know what I'm talkin' about??

leave the Carpinteria Salt Marsh marsh red foxes alone!!!

No comments: