Sunday, February 13, 2011

butterflies are free...

the nature of things...

years ago Butterfly Lane in Montecito was home to surfers, kids, golfers, teenagers, hippies, moms and dads..and butterflies... poet and nature woman Diane Ackerman writes that four monarch sites in Santa Barbara have been cut down or paved over, and one of them was Butterfly Lane, once the most famous monarch site in America...

now it's home to excess...giant gaudy mansions a la Ty Warner, overly manicured trails, and designer dogs..lots of pampered dogs..the beach, Butterfly Beach was one of the best, but the dogs have taken over there, too....the dogs are heren the butterflies are gone, so why not name it Dog Lane and Dog Beach...the Monarch Butterflies are migrating and roosting in their favorite Eucalyptus and Pine Groves....some famous ones being the Coronado Preserve in Goleta.... the ones in Pacific Grove, Big Sur and by Hearst Castle...eucalyptus and pine trees, that's what the monarchs like..the menthol oils...I must be related to the butterfly because I like the eucalyptus oils too..they smell sooo gooood!! I've loved the smell since I as a kid...that's why I get pissed off when people cut down eucalyptus for no good reason; or recently in Santa Barbara a guy got the ok to remove a beautiful palm tree because it spoiled his view; or people who smoke in my vicinity; it messes with my senses and therefore my well-being...and you know better than to mess with my well being!!! so why should I care about the migration of the monarchs?? because the crows taught me to care...

No comments: