Sunday, February 27, 2011

mother nature's punk...

keep pushing me..go ahead..I'll end this blog NOW and start a Weather Blog...Mick's Storm Stories...is that what you want??

see this picture..that's hail and snow..yesterday in Carp....I've never seen that before..I should get an award! or maybe I'll charge a subscription..$4 per month x 7 readers = $28 in my pocket!

now, one of my punk ass readers asked what does nature have to do with the News-Press? he's bored with my nature talks! listen punk, I won't be bullied to write what you want me to write..got it?? I write what I want, not you...now, what does nature have to do with the News-Press? I'll tell ya what: Wendy passes herself off as an animal advocate yet she supported the slaughter on the Channel Islands..so that makes her a phony...now, as far as comments go, I've designed this blog to be so honest yet offensive that only either geniuses or fools will comment...my little punk ass reader is a fool..obviously..

however I do get emails just like Wendy..some professing love and others professing hate....make up your minds!!

ok so now where does that leave me? I don't know..how 'bout we visit some old Wendy words.. and my interpretation of her words in red...her hypocritical words....

Opinion: McCaw: Setting the Record Straight

July 25, 2006 7:34 AM



Since the recent resignation of several newsroom staffers, I have done my best to take the high road and not involve the paper in a name-calling contest. I continue to feel that moving the paper forward and putting this behind us is the best course of action. But in light of the recent deluge of misrepresentations, misperceptions, personal attacks and outright lies, I feel I owe it to you to set the record straight. (ie, lie to you)

First and foremost, this is not a freedom-of-the-press issue. I completely support the rights of a free press. I always have and I always will. It is one of the reasons I bought the paper. I support and understand the need for separation between the editorial, news and advertising pages. There is no place for personal opinion or agendas in news coverage.
(hahahahaha!)

Violations of our paper's policies and standards are what brought on this conflict. As owner and co-publisher, it was my responsibility to step in and handle this internal matter. Nine members of the staff, out of more than 200, chose to resign rather than accept my decisions. I respect their right to do so.

Earlier this month, I appointed Travis Armstrong (who??) to temporarily act as publisher. We are in the process of hiring a new editor who is a strong journalist with impeccable credentials to be the buffer between the newsroom and the publisher. Arthur Von Wiesenberger and I are the co-publishers of the News-Press.
(cuz he's my honey)

It is personally painful for me, and I know it is for all dedicated News-Press staff, to be placed in such a situation. Our energies can and should be focused in positive ways to work together, not on divisive rhetoric. For the quiet majority who sent e-mails and notes of support to me and my staff, I say thank you. I want to assure you that I remain totally committed to overcoming this adversity and staying the course (thanks to my ex hubby's money) Let me put a rumor to rest. The paper is absolutely not for sale.
(because I've driven the value down so low no one will buy it!)

Some newsroom staff has indicated that they wish to be represented by the Teamsters Union. (ie, the devil) The National Labor Relations Board has rules and procedures under which a collective bargaining unit can be established and employees can express their uncoerced views, including a secret ballot election. (however, I don't have to obey the law)
While I don't believe that union representation is in the best interests of our employees, the paper or this community, I respect our employees' rights to make their own decisions.
(except when they conflict with mine!)

Our staff members understand they are free to publicly discuss unionization issues and I expect there will be a full and open debate regarding the attempts by the Teamsters to unionize our paper. ( I tried duct tape over their smarty mouths, but it didn't work) Meanwhile, we are taking the necessary steps to ensure the paper is published every day as usual, thanks to our dedicated and hard-working staff.
(who know howta kiss my butt)

Our staff members understand they are free to publicly discuss unionization issues. (but will be fired!) There was no attempt to gag or otherwise hinder free speech. I would not permit such a thing.
(besides, none of our reporters are over 15 years old and they don't know what a union is!)

One of the basic tenets of good reporting (so I've heard) is that there are always two sides to every story. Up to now, most of you have only heard the attacks being hurled at the News-Press by those with other agendas besides journalism. That's over now. I will stand up for this paper, my employees and our community whenever and wherever it is needed.

A new chapter in this paper's history is unfolding. I invite you to join me in making a difference in our community -- instead of forming the great divide which makes for good tabloid coverage but benefits no one.

I would like to personally thank all of our loyal advertisers and readers for staying with us through this difficult time. I am gratified that in July our new subscriptions exceeded cancellations, resulting in a net subscription increase of 406. (I'm rich, I can lie) While the vocal minority has tried to make a lot of noise, the quiet majority are showing their support.

Many years ago, I accepted the fact that the difficult decisions I must make as owner and co-publisher do not make me popular. I am not running a popularity contest. I am running a newspaper (into the ground). I will always do what I think is best for the News-Press and our community.

Wendy McCaw is owner and co-publisher of the News-Press.

well I am running a popularity contest! ok so who's more popular... me or Wendy??

4 comments:

Punk Fool Wannabe said...

Are you a blond(e), brunette or redhead? Or is your hair silver? Or do you shave your head? Need more info before I can offer an opinion. Got my standards. Just like Wendy. Oh, and by the way, have you ever belonged to a union?

spitfire squid said...

Yeah Mick!

Mick Von Caw said...

Squid! I thought maybe you got eaten by a shark!

Anonymous said...

“Since the recent resignation of several newsroom staffers”

That would be about half the news room walking out or being illegally fired

“First and foremost, this is not a freedom-of-the-press issue.”

Until McCaw's lawyer, Barry Capello, decided the only way to defend the publisher's illegal and outrageous actions would be to hide behind the First Amendment

“We are in the process of hiring a new editor who is a strong journalist with impeccable credentials”

That would never happen. She finally put a real estate agent in charge.

“For the quiet majority who sent e-mails and notes of support to me and my staff, I say thank you.”

Yes, thank you, Arthur, and Consuela, my faithful housekeeper.