Sunday, December 14, 2014

these dreams

go on when I close my eyes

I had a dream last night I was in LA, staying at a big hotel, then I was in a big arena, a big field, dancing around with an air guitar, wearing just a g-string..some chicks were laughing and pointing at me

I don't know what that was about but, hey it was dream! so I thought about some musical journeys I took over the years....




1960s- Earl Warren Showgrounds: Janis Joplin (I won tickets from KIST!!), Alice Cooper, Eric Burdon (never knew if Eric was gonna show up!) Doors, the Grass Roots! Jefferson Airplane...simply awesome at the height of rock n roll~1967 the vibe was so cool back then

thanks Earl!

 

SBJH-the Byrds

Cabrillo Bathhouse-Ernie and the Emperors...that big red Gibson and they had a hit with "Meet Me At the Corner"  we started a band after seeing them! 

UCSB-CSN and Y....acoustic guitars and harmonies

Aquarius Theater-the Doors in LA...LA WOMAN!!!

the Troubadour- I can't remember the name of the band, but they had an old guy on guitar and a beautiful young chick singer with shiny brown-black hair  and big brown eyes and red lips and mmmm...and they sang a song called "Child of Nature"...I was a kid watching her sing and fell instantly in love!

so in my early 20s, I decided to become a folk singer and played at bars and restaurants and coffee houses down the coast..Ventura- almost played at the BanDar....that club was just as weird and cool as can be..and I was gigging at the Rounders when the Bandar owner Johnny Mosby came in one night..he and wife Jonie had a few country hits....he asked if I'd play a gig over there I said yeah... but my manager wouldn't let me..he was afraid he'd lose customers!! hahahah..what a hot star I was..but had I played that gig, I could've become a big country star instead of a little pathetic blogger...pretty sad

in Goleta at the Midnight Mine Steakhouse...w/Brownwood and Barbara Long...oh yeah... and the Grateful Dead were supposed to show up one night and jam with us..they never made it...geez I coulda been a member of the Dead...and that wasn't coffee in my coffee cup, boys

1970s- Jesse Colin Young at UCSB gym...this cat was good

1970's- Vance or Towers...downtown Santa Barbara..really good SB duo...Glen Vance wrote the prettiest song called "the Presence of her Absence"...

1970s- Kinks at UCSB Robertson Gym...one of my fave concerts with the masters of pop/rock satire..Ray Davies and the boys

1970s-O'Jays, Commodores, Cool and the Gang....traveled one summer with the O'Jays tour because I 'm cool and I got soul.. a different town every night...crazy time

1970's Angel - traveled with Angel tour..a KISS knockoff...they sucked..I quit half-way thru the tour and flew back to LA on a big Delta jet with about ten people on it....coming into LA at night...whew, that was something I'll never forget...it was beautiful

1970s-Van Morrison and Leo Kottke at the Granada..Van was great but Leo stole the show

1970s-1980s Dave Mason, Loggins and Messina, Stephen Stills at the Santa Barbara County Bowl

1980s-Tom Waits at the Arlington..funny dude

quit folksinging and became a fry cook...quit cooking and became a career-minded responsible adult- made alot of money, bought tons of guitars, and quit that crazy scene

1980s- Suzanne Vega...downtown Santa Barbara at some club.. I snuck in during Suzanne's rehearsal with my camera..heard a few songs then some big dude kicked me out!

1990s-Richie Furay and Jim Messina at the old Feedstore...that was a fun place and I don't mean ping-pong type fun

2000s-

Iris Dement at SOHO..I love her!

Brian Wilson at the Lobero...probably my favorite concert..the pop genius doing all those songs..he was in excellent form with a great band...watching Brian do "Sail on Sailor" was..well it brought me to tears and chills

Odetta-at the Lobero..in her 80s and wheelchair bound, the folk legend sang some incredible songs with a piano player...I was awestruck

Bob Lind and Danny O'Keefe- at the Carp Theater..that was an obscure one but "Elusive Butterfly" and Springfield connection was cool...O'Keefe's a fantastic songman

Shaun Colvin- at the Lobero..the new Lobero! she was joined by Jackson Browne for a few songs but Shaun was the main attraction and she was really good



Shaun and Jackson


Ringo- at the SB Bowl..the salad bowl?? no...Ringo and his "Awful Starr Band" as he called them...I had my camera on video- running- and I didn't even know it.. I caught the end of one Ringo song and before he introduced Todd Rundgren, he said he loved the band and called them the Awful Starr Band...instead of the ALL-Starr Band...I'm the only one who caught that...just a little joke between me and the boys...

seeing Ringo was a trip..no more famous drummer ever..he played on all those songs as part of the greatest musical force ever..EVER!! the Beatles! opened the doors for the British Invasion...

and the rest is history!

1 comment:

banda de Tito Bamba said...

What kind of tie dyed psycadelic idiot would hang out with all those druggies and addicts that performed at Earl Warren Shitgrounds. That place was and still is a public nuisance.