Tuesday, March 22, 2011

pleasures of the harbor...

3 easy pieces....

I got my LP yesterday..an original A&M pressing of Phil Ochs "Pleasures of the Harbor"...from the 1960s...I like music..I like music trivia...music is a hobby that has kept me sane while most the rest of you have gone crazy!

well, I may be joining you soon...I received my LP but noticed that the package was a little...bent...hmmm...I thought to myself..what's up wid dat...

so I opened it up and there was the cover with Ochs looking cool...Ochs was great songwriter...listen to Joan Baez do "There but for Fortune" and you get a sense of the extraordinary creative vibe back then..Ochs was a manic dude who finally killed himself with booze and depression, but he left some wonderful work behind...and I just got a hankering to hear him...and of course "Pleasure of the Harbor" is a forgotten masterpiece..so I ordered the LP thru Amazon stores..being an LP it was sold thru an outside seller...

so I got my LP with money I got from the taxpayers over the years...it was a little bent, but I held it and was looking forward to spinning it on the turntable...then I took it out of the sleeve..and it fell out, onto the table, already broken, in three pieces!! I was aghast! "fuck the world" I said...so I immediately sat down and wondered why the universe had singled me out today...I could not come up with an answer so I decided to make chicken soup out of chicken shit... I soon learned that this cannot be done...chicken shit is chicken shit!

I rearranged the three broken pieces and tried to GLUE them back together..I have a special glue and it worked for a while...I played the album and it sounded ok except when it hit the ridge, then it skipped like a little school girl!

so I took it off the turntable and it fell apart again..so I ordered another one thru another online site...but I will tell no one what happens to this one, outside of a small circle of friends...

No comments: