Monday, April 23, 2012

in the hour of not quite rain

where the clouds are unsuspended in a singular sky..

I get tons of brochures in the mail and normally toss them in the catalog reading spot where they stack up..then when I have a few minutes, I lay on the rug at the bottom of the sofa and read them..that's what I did yesterday.......it was cool and foggy and not quite raining..a perfect day for reading...


so I read the catalogs...and I come across one that I missed before: a catalog of films from Kino Lorber..never heard of them..

I was pulled into the pages by some seduction..like a moth to a flame, a mouse to cheese, a Jew to money, a priest to children..and so on

but the films were strange and wonderfully cultish....old silent films with people I've never heard of...films from Germany and Russia....so I order a few "Justine" based on the Marquis de Sade's 1791 novel "Justine: The Misfortune of Virtue"..

wow..how cool ..the Marquis De Sade....that guy was twisted and way ahead of his time..so I'll spend some time trying to separate fact from fiction by going over his writings..

next from the catalog I pick Dairy of a Lost Girl just because of the picture of the girl..Louise Brooks...I do a little search and feel like I got snatched up by a Time Machine and transported back to the 1920s where I fall for a mysterious dark haired beauty....

then I joined the Louise Brooks Society because she's my kinda gal...a tough life as a kid but a total artist and independent to the core...and mysterious...her face is shadowy and haunting me and I need to find out why...

No comments: