Saturday, April 28, 2012

Johnny Angel

you're an angel to me...

I used to watch the Donna Reed Show when I was a kid..not often, but enough to fall for Shelley Fabares, who played Donna's happy-go-lucky yet mysterious daughter...Donna kinda bothered me with that smirk instead of a smile.. I think she was hiding something but I don't know what...Shelley Fabares on the other hand didn't hide anything..she was always smiling and girly yet strong and direct..and she had a great laugh...and I had a crush on her...

then I saw some old beach movies recently and there she was with Elvis and Troy Donahue and Tab Hunter....Tab Hunter lives in Summerland and he's gay...GAY!! so you see, mother, things aren't always as they seem...

but anyway Shelley had a hit with a song called "Johnny Angel"...this song has haunted me all my life..it is beautiful and Shelley's voice was so sweet, yet there was something a bit unsettling about it...."together we will see how lovely Heaven will be"...what does that mean? does it mean that together, Shelley and Johnny's love will be heavenly? or does it mean that Shelley has plans for a murder/suicide?

remember, in the beginning of the song, Johnny doesn't even know that Shelley exists! is he ignoring her...and will she "get carried away" in the worst way?

maybe I'm reading too much into the song , but every time I hear it "my heart begins to fly"...

Shelley Fabares...I love you

No comments: