Sunday, January 5, 2014

Hey Doll Baby

can we have a little talk together....

as a kid at camp, we did a skit to the Everly Brothers "Wake Up Little Susie"....for some reason I was dressed as a chick (??) I think I played Susie....the joke was they woke up little Susie (me) by pouring a bucket of water over her head!!

the song was banned in Boston in 1957 for its suggestive lyrics! Wake Up Little Susie!!! "we fell asleep, our goose is cooked, our reputation is shot"....hahaha
 
 

but really, I loved their music..the harmonies, the big Gibson guitars..I bought an Everly Brothers CD few weeks ago and Hey Bird Dog get away from my quail!! I love that song

they blended pop, country and rocknroll and blazed a musical trail for others to follow...

RIP Phil Everly

and if you're talking real Santa Barbara legends, then the guy who owned the Italian Grocery in Santa Barbara by the city yard certainly was one...Tino was a big friendly guy who recently died at 86....I'll always have a hankering for the super deluxe with everything on it...plus some chips and apple juice.. sit down with that combo and I'm in Heaven...


I've been going there forever and when Tino was well, he'd fix the sub sandwiches and loved to talk and joke and tell a little story...but then I'd have to deal with the lady at the cash register..for some reason I found her scary maybe it's cos I scare easily but even she wasn't gonna keep me away from a super deluxe submarine sandwich...the thing about those sandwiches is they taste like the east coast subs...so good and mushy and oily you could almost drink them....

and nowhere else in town are the sandwiches this tasty....that's a legend for you.. a super deluxe legend

No comments: