Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Time Has Come Today

I've been crushed by the tumbling tide (Time) And my soul has been psychedelicized (Time) (Time) Now the time has come (Time) There are things to realize

 

Psykhe

so I've noticed lately that more butterflies are flying past my window than I've ever seen....they're over by the Salt Marsh and are moving south to north...these are the Monarchs...the orange ones...so I'm thinking they are migrating for the winter and being so hot and dry here, they are coming in droves......a butterfly winged goddess stops midflight and winks at me..




so I hop on my bike and follow her up the road a piece said "hey" to the muleskinner guy...I get to the beach and then I see a bunch more butterflies whipping around in a frenzy...then I see a big eucalyptus tree by the roadside and look up and freak out...hundreds! a big cluster of butterflies attached to the leaves...some were bright orange and the ones that were roosting for awhile were paler orange and hard to spot...




but after a while my eyes adjusted and it was awesome!! like the Coronado Monarch Preserve in Goleta

I may have just discovered a new roosting site.. a new sanctuary...like memories of the city, following me everywhere I go



but I gotta be extra vigilant in case the Center for Biological Diversity gets wind of this find...and then they get a native bug up their ass and try to chop down the eucalyptus..a big beautiful blue gum...or the nuts at the Santa Barbara Botanic Beer Garden...

any attempts to remove the eucs around here??

well, they're gonna have to get past me first

2 comments:

Science Nut Up Yours said...

Monarchs as well as other species have adapted to the decimation of native roosts. Still they do not exclusively roost in non native eucalyptus. In professionally well managed habitat restorations there is no fear for Monarchs or other species. And the restorations improve conditions for all struggling and endangered flora and fauna.

Mick Von Caw said...

"professionally well managed habitat restorations"... what are you, a clown??