Thursday, July 21, 2011

the Pelican Brief

well, I guess I'm supposed to be a detective, like Dick Tracy...ok fine...

but I'm a little worried..I read the News-Press today oh boy, about a lucky man who made the grade...but nowhere man did I see the continuation of Peter Lance's series! Peter promised, saying he would do the story even from jail....maybe he's busy??

anyway, why should I care, I got better things to do..or do I? so I'm reading the News-Press and the front page story of a car crash..wow...four teens stole and crashed a car on Mountain Drive....we never stole cars as teens but like riding our Honda 90s and trail bikes at night under the bright moonlight, in the hills..with no lights on..godalmightly that was fun!!


so anyway I'm reading the News-Press and the front page story when I see a name..an new name...Merrill McCarty..Assistant City Editor...hmmmm..I know Scott Steepleton is the City Editor, but why does he need an assistant editor? maybe he's getting a promotion or he's in the hospital with Lanny and the doctors are trying to surgically remove their noses from Wendy's ass!!

I dunno....maybe he's on the outs..maybe Wendy's in a firing mood with all the Lance nonsense...like I said..I dunno..how long has Merrill been at the News-Press? I know she was an editor at the Riverside Press Enterprise and got laid...off..with a bunch of other employees..her NP front page story was real short and she concludes that the four teens "were believed to be gang members"..with no evidence to support that!

I think I got a picture of her.....it's either the blonde from Facebook with her boyfriend or the old broad with the pelican..

but here's little something about Merrill:
McCarty went from a reporter to news editor in 1987, and managing editor in 1989. In 1995, Thomson sold the Dispatch to Freedom Communications Inc., owner of the Orange County Register and the Daily Press in Victorville. With a publisher working out of Victorville instead of Barstow, McCarty became the Desert Dispatch’s general manager in 1997.
When Freedom bought the Desert Dispatch there was no need for a press room, printer or a press crew in Barstow because the newspaper would be printed in Victorville. Once that happened, the Desert Dispatch began to operate more efficiently and it saved money, McCarty said. But Barstow residents, worried that the paper would reflect the Victorville community, had their misgivings.
“It was sensitive and touchy,” McCarty said. “(The publisher) had to manage the Desert Dispatch but at the same time remain independent and still serve as a local voice. We wanted to avoid the idea that people in Victorville were running the Barstow paper.”

now Wendy, if you hire a new editor, why not introduce her properly to Santa Barbara, to me..apparently she's been at the NP for a few months....why wasn't I notified??

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Her is a him.
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1686207876&sk=wall

Mick Von Caw said...

what?? what kind of a name is Merrill for a guy? I don't believe it...I won't believe it..I can't believe it...

Anonymous said...

Good thing you didn't call for a date.

Mick Von Caw said...

I DO NOT DATE MEN AND I WILL NOT BE MADE A FOOL OF!! GOT IT??

Anonymous said...

Lots of men are named Merrill, like it or not ... the woman's name you're confusing it with is Meryl. As in Meryl Streep.

Anonymous said...

late post for sure, but merrill mccarty formerly with the desert dispatch is indeed a man, and a fabulous editor/boss.