Monday, February 13, 2012

the Bodyguard

candle in the wind...

do you suppose if my homie Kevin Costner was doing his job, Whitney Houston would still be alive? I thought Kevin was her bodyguard..I know if Whitney had spent the day with me at the beach, she would still be singing her songs...

I haven't watched the Grammys in ages, but I checked in to see the tributes..Bruce Springsteen opened with a rousing "We Take Care of our Own"...
rapper LL Cool-J hosted..of course I don't know who he is, but he did an ok job....I loved Lupe Fiasco and Bruno Mars...I flipped back and forth between the cable music channels..they were doing nonstop Whitney Houston videos...back in the 80s she was Queen of Soul/Pop churning out hits at breakneck speed....the daughter of Cissy Houston, she grew up around Dionne Warwick and Aretha Franklin....geez..talk about music royalty..

well, back at the Grammys, Joe Walsh, one of the greatest rocknroll guitarists of all time was helping Paul warble his way thru "My Blue Valentine"..Joe was on classical guitar..sorry guys, it didn't quite work...Paul just doesn't have the voice for that stuff...and tonight it was all about the voice...the Beach Boys reunited for "Good Vibrations", helped by some much younger musicians..Mike Love looking rather frail and elderly...I saw Brian Wilson at the Lobero a few years ago and he was great..but tonight he looked a bit forlorn, and quickly left the stage after the song....

so I'm watching Whitney Houston videos...I always have when they happen to come on...she's a beautiful woman, energetic and smiling, with a beautiful voice....and I heard some songs I've never heard before that became quick favorites.."I Have Nothing" from the "Bodyguard"...and another one about being hurt real bad.."yeah ya did, shor ya did" she sang masterfully...
she was on stage, sitting on a tall stool...wearing a white dress..sweat glistening off her face...she looked like an Olympian athlete..she was singing with every fiber of her being..and that's why I liked her...

I don't know about the drugs and alcohol or why she took up with a no-talent guy like Bobbie Brown, but something happened... I was looking for it in her videos..and there was something behind her smile, her eyes, that was hard to describe.....a sadness...maybe "the Greatest Love of All" said it...I don't know....but I know this, no one at the Grammy Awards could hold a candle to her voice....

No comments: