Tuesday, June 19, 2012

groovin'

on a Sunday afternoon....

well, I couldn't believe my eyes....I've seen them soar for years..coming down from the hills to the marsh and all points in between...they glide effortlessly, surveying the landscape for dead things to eat..they are turkey vultures...always so dialed in and professional...and dedicated.....wild...

so I'm driving around and turn on Cravens Lane and look in my rearview mirror and up on the ranch road above Cravens I see some big black things in the middle of the street, by the nurseries and farm land...so I turn around and park off 192..and get out and creep up to the intersection..and up a little closer..one bird on the fence...looking at me like I was no big deal...very casual....that's the closest I've been to a turkey vulture and I was...well......I was a turkey vulture for a minute....part of the clan....the black legion.....it was an honor!

two more birds on the ground, eating a rabbit or something (Macy??)..and a few more vultures flying low with that giant wing span like Rodan, circling the feast..

I watched them for about five minutes before a car came down from the hill and the vultures scattered...but they'll be back and I hope they are roosting big time close by, somewhere in the trees behind the ranches...

I always love seeing them..they are just such awesome birds!!

good lovin'
so I'm waiting for the new Peter Lance series in the News-Press supposedly about the corrupt SB cops..still waiting... hey Pete if you're still looking for a mate and Match.com ain't working out, why not put an ad in the News-Press Lifestyle section....
"I Demand A Mate" ......who will dare...



please contact Peter Lance c/o the Santa Barbara News-Press..if you dare

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The one on the left looks like P.Lance. Same red snout.