Saturday, August 31, 2013

the heart is a lonely hunter

The muscle and bone - they encase my heart but never touch my soul.
I'll save that for the water and its shore, fear makes friends with joy.



Friday is the start of Labor Day weekend so I went on a bike ride..the day was warm and humid with some wispy clouds and a glaring sun...the water supplies are dwindling as I noted on my last visit to Lake Casitas to see the bald eagles....

I see wannabe politicians discussing nonsensical things like Mermaid logos, and yet not one of them mentions the drought, or the need for a building moratorium, or water use restrictions..not one of them...think about that......if we run out of water, you will indeed see California crumble into the sea...



I'll do my part and I hope you do yours...water is important..that scene in the Miracle Worker when Patty Duke (as Helen Keller) speaks..she struggles but finally says "water"...that scene with Anne Bancroft at the pump, when water comes out and gives life to Patty....I will never forget that scene

so the reason I went on a bike ride other than the exercise and the super fine weather is look for a bobcat.. I saw one in Summerland a few days ago, behind the Greenwell Preserve area..it jumped a fence, crossed the road before a gardener's old Toyota truck hit it, and disappeared.. I had my camera out but the cat was too fast and I only caught a glimpse...my first sigthing...the cat was big and brown, sharp ears and long powerful legs, a short tail..he acknowledged me before he disappeared... I saw all that in that brief moment...of course I went looking for him in the bush..there's a creek down there, well hidden...this place is teeming with wild things...some ranches up here, too

but I didn't see the elusive bobcat again but am thrilled they are out there...so close to us..

so I headed on down to Santa Claus beach and lots of people for a Friday... I started snapping pictures and one chick stopped and stared at me while I took pictures of the ocean scene, then she disappeared over the rocks into the sand... I rode on a bit more and stopped to see kids surfing...I crossed the railroad tracks and stood in the sand, taking more pictures..and then the girl was there... I watched her... she undressed, down to her bathing suit, almost her birthday suit...

then the gal lies down and looks over at me and slithers around in the sand, on her towel..then I thought about that bobcat....and Peggy Lee and Patty and Anne...

I have a feeling this is gonna be a real fine Labor Day weekend...unless I run out of water...

No comments: