Sunday, July 13, 2014

with a little help from my friends

would you believe in a love at first sight, yes I'm certain that it happens all the time

so I blew off the French Festival and all other social engagements because I just had to see Ringo Starr and his All Starr Band...I hadn't been to the Santa Barbara Bowl in awhile and was curious as a cat...so I went...found a primo parking spot half a block away and hung out at the Bowl entrance....whew.. it was hot, sunny and muggy... they opened the gates at 5:30 so in we went...I got frisked by some black dude to make sure I wasn't carrying weapons...peace and love, Ringo??





I remember walking up a hill years ago but today they even had a shuttle in case you were too lazy too infirmed to hike...but I saw a shortcut through Jerry Garcia Glen...it was very steep but only took me a few minutes..Jerry Garcia Glen? really? yup, Jerry Garcia Glen..geez




I reached the Bowl summit but I was sweating like a greased pig at a Christian BBQ! I spied a place to get a drink...I was thirsty but as I later realized, some thirsts just can't be quenched..I got an ice cold Sierra Mist and went to find my seat...I found it and sat down and took a sip..whoa!! refreshing but with 62 grams of sugar packed in that little soda bottle, I couldn't finish it because I felt tipsy...a sugar high...



ok so the Bowl fills up fast and finally Ringo and the band come out at about 7:30 PM to a rousing ovation...Ringo sang a few songs and was content to be the drummer while the other guys showcased their hits from yesterday...




Todd Rundgren was a standout..dressed in orange shoes and trippy rags and neat green guitar he played some stellar stuff from his solo career..he started with 'I Saw the Light"..it was perfect..

the other guys from Santana to Toto to Mr. Mister, whose Richard Page did a wonderfully loud and beautiful rendition of "Kyrie", brought some radio soul to the Bowl...this is a really good band....almost a garage band atmosphere...



I sat high up..the new seats are terraced so the view is magnificent..but the seats are scrawny and too close together..however, I didn't mind because I had a chick sitting next to me and we rubbed legs all night..not on purpose and she was with her boyfriend who was caressing the hell out of her left shoulder..she probably was getting annoyed so a few leggies with me was a good outlet for her..and in front of me was a beauty who kept tossing her lovely blonde hair back, landing on my other leg, by the knee...JESUS that felt good...I was wearing shorts and a young woman's soft long hair tickling my leg was just what I needed...

so I saw thousands of people..many kept coming and going to get beer in little clear plastic cups..hic...hic...

I think I saw Jan from Jan and Dean and Mike Love from the Beach Boys...and more pussy than any man had a right to see...Ringo can still draw them in...the babes..




oh it was a fine night...and most definitely a trip to see the guy, the drummer who played with George, John and Paul..and before that, Rory at the Cavern! still a stellar musician and still bringing it..never lost his working class vibe!

the highlights were a singalong on Yellow Submarine....people were singing out the parts like we were the Beatles!! FUN!!

the end was With a Little Help From My Friends... a really lovely Lennon/McCartney song from Sgt Pepper...the band was flawless and Ringo was..well..Ringo...

a splendid time was had by all...I left with the mass of people heading down the hill...the moon glowing gold though the clouds....and I see at least 20 cabs going 'round in circles picking people up..it was crazy..like I was all of a sudden in India!

hey where's the Maharishi???

No comments: