Friday, January 27, 2012

Blue Hawaii

like the river flows, surely to the sea....

so the SBIFF opened and the first movie they show is some sappy thing about..guess what.. a dog...dogdammit....a new movie about a dog with Diane Keaton...once so good in Woody Allen films, her career is over so now she does dog movies...how sad..the film is called "Darling Companion"....oh did I mention, it's about a dog...I predict it will flop...


but the weather was pretty fine on Thursday....warm and breezy and I started feeling like I was in Hawaii.....I put on my Hawaiian shirt and flip flops and went for a bike ride to the beach...it was great...just like Hawaii... it was a feeling that followed me into the evening.....

so I find out later that Blue Hawaii was on that night and I thought why didn't they play that at the opening of the film festival....Roger Durling is kinda fruity and it's just a great Elvis film about pineapples...Elvis plays a guy named Chad coming back from a "stitch in the army"...Elvis wants to be a beach bum but his parents want him to join the family pineapple farm...of course that's not gonna happen because this is Elvis....just another refuge from a wealthy family...

he rides around with his girlfriend in a little red sports car..the scenery is beautiful...and hey there's a little dog in the beginning...but this is a people film...and Elvis sings "I Can't Help Falling in Love with You"....wow...



and I enjoyed the rest of the movie with fine and goofy performances by the likes of Angela Lansbury who plays Elvis' southern belle mama and warns her husband "daddy" not to ply Elvis with intoxicating spirits....he's a young healthy kid who prefers pineapple juice!

what fun.....what a nice break from the phony slop that passes for movies today......so I plan to get some pineapple today and try it with some salt, like Elvis and the girls did...yeah..Elvis and the girls.....
maybe I should've been a pineapple farmer...

2 comments:

Redheads Rule said...

Damn, Mick. I didn't know that pineapple was your safeword.

Mick Von Caw said...

...wise men say only fools rush in, for I can't help falling in love with you...