Wednesday, January 18, 2012

blue suede shoes

Well, you can knock me down
Step in my face
Slander my name
All over the place

Well, do anything that you want to do, but uh-uh
Honey, lay off of my shoes

I had a hard time figuring what SOPA is and what it isn't...I mean SOPA..it's that little white bar you use in the shower? that Italians use..gimme the sopa...sopa on a ropa??

well, it's the Stop Online Piracy Act that is creating a controversy...first of all, Rupert Murdoch supports it so I'm inclined to be against it...GOOGLE is against it so I'm inclined to agree with them...
now no one wants to be pirated I'm sure, stealing music downloads and movies and the like, but SOPA seems like an over-reach...

there are many distinctions on line...and when folks cross the line, deal with them on a one by one basis...

if they take stuff you copyright, in some cases it's ok to use...like my pal Bill McFadyen over at Noozhawk who got all uppity when I borrowed pic from his website..he complained it was copyrighted material, the pic of the two yuppiemuppies who witnessed the DeNunzio murder, he emailed me and asked me how I felt about copyrights and how much we both loved the Frist Amendment blah blah blah..then he tells me to remove the picture..so of course I did..I didn't have to, but I did...now I guess if SOPA were law, the powers that be could have tried to shut down my blog for using a little picture..that's silly and not necessary...and McFadyen is against SOPA..

most social websites and for-profit websites have terms of service and if you violate those terms, they can terminate you ...but there's no need to shut down the entire website because of a few idiots..

now one idiot in particular tried to fraudulently portray me as the host of his website on the Ning network a while back...of course I have no problem with any smartass doing a parody of me or anyone else....his website was called the Santa Barbara Heckler and he stole my identity to use for his blog...what a freakin dumbass...he paid to sign up on NING to try and bird dog me!

I called the NING team and they had me sign a sworn declaration that I had no affiliation with the Heckler site and they shut him down....they agreed with me that the Heckler was committing fraud...there's no reason to shut down NING just because of one little jerkoff!

that's how to handle online piracy....I have no issue with NING at all as they were very helpful...
use the law to keep the idiots in line but don't mess with true and protected free speech rights!!

Well, you can do anything
But lay off of my blue suede shoes

No comments: