Thursday, May 17, 2012

bombs away

dream babies...


so I go out to Atlantic Aviation in Goleta to check out the WWII bombers...I used to fly the B17 when I was in the war circa 1942..me and Clint and Burton and William Holden...we were the Flying Tigers...oh John Wayne too..

but we'd fly these over Germany and bomb the Krauts to bits..in the end Hitler was a nervous wreck, a withered little man who committed suicide....just as well...and the Emperor of Japan..we got his ass too...good way to end a war...drop the big one

I've watched many war documentaries and these giant icons were always flying in some badass formation..a low rumbling sound that I love...

oooowwww...I haven't been to the airport lately and it's rather nice out here..wide open spaces with lots of cool non-native plants everywhere...

so I get to the Atlantic Aviation which is very clean and nice..I go inside and pass thru a gate to get to the planes.... the planes...I was waiting my turn to get inside the bombers as others checked them out, too.......so I climb up a step ladder and there's little compartments, ammo, gun turrets...concave windows, oxygen cylinders...50 caliber gun machine guns...they are huge!!

I paid the twelve bucks for a self guided tour... it was well worth it...for a moment I was flying in a real liberator..these machines are just too cool for words..and all the rivets from Rosie and company...like art work!! what skill!

I placed myself in the gun turret..the guns were soo easy to operate and maneuver, it was like power steering! I could have cleared the tarmac....not that I would....I'm just sayin' I could if I had to....

so on the way back I hit the hill in Summerland and glance over at the ocean like I always do..I see two large things sticking up out of the water...I pull off at the exit and go to Lookout Park....I check out what I think I saw and it was gone..just a couple of paddleboarders way out there..then I hear later that night a horse went swimming at the Loon Point beach..and it seems everyone freaked out and all the Coast Guard patrols boats and animal people came to help....even #69 had something to say about even though she wasn't involved in the rescue..I think she was peeved no one called her!!

but I don't know what all the fuss was about...haven't people ever heard of sea horses??

No comments: