Sunday, August 5, 2012

home on the range

where seldom is heard, a discouraging word, and the skies are not cloudy all day


well, of course I went to the rodeo... I find it very relaxing watching cowpokes torture animals...even in the rain..the sweet summer rain...as I left for Earl Warren Showgrounds, it was raining in Carp..the skies were cloudy for a while, but not all day....I drove through Montecito and then it was sunny in Santa Barbara...very nice and tropical...

I didn't see any protestors offering discouraging words about the rodeo, just horses and cowgirls and cowboys and some folks from Germany...nice young family...the daughters were pretty, too...the mom kept stopping in front of me..kinda posing ..and ..well...very pretty and nice and ...hmmmm

and the cowgirls..tough and lovely as a day in the country..and pensive..always thinking about something...their horse?? them girls chap my britches!

good ol' Earl Warren Showgrounds....what a treasure....I saw the ghosts of the Doors, Janis Joplin, Grace Slick and the Airplane, the Animals, Alice Cooper, Roy Rogers & others hanging out at the entrance...and I thought to myself...this big ballroom is empty...why don't they use it for a Sunday night square dance as a Fiesta finale?? hell, I'd put my cowboy boots on for that... let's go honky tonkin'!

but into the Kramer Arena I go and there they are~ the rodeo folks~ so I go sit down in the bleachers..I enjoy this so much I don't know why...it's just so simple...I won few blue ribbons at camp for horseback riding when I was a kid, so maybe that's it...my horse was named Babette..she was my friend and I was so happy to see her each morning...she'd come over to greet me...I'd saddle her up and she'd giggle and we'd ride for an hour or so..and practice..she was a horse of course but I loved her....I still think about her...

so I'm watching the festivities and finally see some cowgirls..there's that blonde I saw last year..man oh man is she fine...I gotta do something about that...Sunday, I turn on the charm and see if I can trick her into a BBQ or two...

but there's other cowgals too and a kid about 10 years old doing a fantastic job roping the calves...I didn't see any barbarism or cruelty...just some roping and hootin and hollerin...the animals were all healthy looking and I think the animal rights people are as cuckoo as Wendy McCuckoo....I'll never understand why Jedlicka's advertises in the News-Press when Wendy doesn't support the Fiesta rodeo....

whatever...all I know is today and Sunday I am a cool cowboy in the stands with my eye on some awesome riders...and everyone is having fun....and that's all that really matters...ain't nothin like a good rodeo!

No comments: