Saturday, August 4, 2012

the singer not the song


we are going, to the Hukilau..

for some reason, I've always been afraid of sewing machines..you know the ones..the Singer sewing machines..whenever I go to a Thrift Shop I see an old one...usually it's in some weird sometime ornate case, or self-contained in a neat little desk with a hatch... when the hatch is closed, it looks like a functional piece of old timey furniture, but when you open it up, there it is.. a sewing machine! who sews?? I don't....if my clothes become unraveled, I just tear them up and make shop towels out of them...I certainly don't sew them back together....maybe they remind me of odd old ladies with Wendy frowns or young alien girls sewing sweatshop clothes for crazy Christian billionaire Kathy Ireland...

but while the little menacing machines may disturb me, I've always liked the Singer name...so I was happy when I saw an old Singer phonograph online and bought it for cheap...I didn't know Singer made these little portable record players..it came with original box and four old Eveready batteries, dead and corroded, but they had the cool Black Cat logo...

so I took the machine out of its original box and it looked like a little sewing machine, but I wasn't scared..I was delighted..I got some new batteries and put on some old 45s and played some tunes...Polly Bergen is fantastic!! and I found a record I never knew I had...Hukilau...we throw our nets out into the sea, and all the uma uma come swimming to me...

the image is moving because I was doing the island dance while holding the camera... and ya know what? I'm not afraid anymore....

No comments: