Saturday, December 1, 2012

long ago and far away

slowly passing sailing ships, and Sunday afternoons....

well I heard that Robert Maxim died...he's the guy who worked so hard to save the Santa Claus Lane Santa statue from being demolished in 2002...well there was a story about Santa that goes into the details about the controversial rebel, the big Red Santa on Santa Claus Lane...

and here it is...

once upon a time, a long long time ago....

A couple of years ago around 1998, I read in the local Carpinteria newspaper "the Coastal View", that a few developers were planning to turn Santa Claus Lane into a Cape Code themed seaside village. They said they wanted to cater to a more upscale clientele and remove the Santa Claus figure. They felt Santa was a deterrent to their business success.

"Oh No!" I thought.. I’ve spent my life running from these rich pompous assholes and they’re following me to Carpinteria! Now they wanted to get rid of Santa, the cool ol’ dude by the highway who had confounded and delighted motorists for over fifty years! This little unpretentious roadside attraction in the middle of some beautiful scenery is going to be "cultured by the vultures" I was aghast! "They’re gonna turn this funky place into Rodeo Drive!" I was mortified! They’re messin’ with the big red man!

According to them, the Santa theme was no longer "appropriate" for Southern California, especially in stuffy ol’ Santa Barbara. As a matter of fact, Santa was unbearably inappropriate for sunny southern California! But that’s the point! Boneheads! That’s why we love him. Santa represents old California like Cannery Row in Monterey, the Boardwalk in Santa Cruz and the Santa Monica Pier. I figured I gotta try and stop these guys! But how? They got more money than I do! I’ll see what I can do…..

Located by the beach between Summerland and Carpinteria right off Highway 101, Santa

Claus Lane was and is a cool little roadside attraction from the 1940’s with a few shops and restaurants. The newest addition on the Lane was the Padaro Beach Grill, which started grilling burgers and fish around 1996. The restaurant was a big success and locals loved it. Paul and Gene Archambault built the business up but the only problem was, they didn’t own the land or the building. So after years of toiling and gaining a loyal clientele, the out- of-town landlord (Slimeball Sr.) raised the rent to a point where the Archambault’s wouldn’t pay it. This dastardly move was preceded by the erection.. erection.. of the Franz Commercial Development. I guess the Archambault’s never had a chance! The landlord’s son (Slimeball Jr.) will take over the building and create another grill to carry on a "local tradition", which I plan to boycott it until I get too hungry! I don’t care what they do now, they won’t deprive me of the simple pleasure of strolling down the lane and enjoying the beach! I’ll mingle with the upscale babes if I really have to…no problem!
 
to be continued.....

No comments: