Thursday, June 27, 2013

reelin' in the years

stowing away the time....

while the Lobero Theater gets destroyed and turned into a wine bar..ugh!! the Sings Like Hell tour moved over to Santa Barbara Junior High..in the Marjorie Luke Theater...oh I love this school...saw the Byrds there, wore wing tips there, fell in love there, wore weird Hawaiian shirts there, learned French there...

got enrolled when we moved to Santa Barbara in the 1960s...music was a big deal back then and we had concerts at the junior high and the high schools...my band played one of them and the administrators told me to turn down my guitar...no fuckin way did I do that.. I let it rip: and her name is G-L-O-R-I-Iyiyiy-A ...G-L-O-R-I-A... Gloria!!!!...three chords..no problem...

there were plenty of musicians at the school and the good ones were in the school band.... much better players than I.... I remember one guy Randy LeGassick who played alot...he was a tall friendly fellow..he was in private bands and school bands and always played that trombone like an old pro...he was really good....this was in the days of Blood Sweat and Tears and Chicago....brass instruments were mixed with rock and it was brilliant....

these guys up on that SBJHS stage, playing some awesome music..well I really admired them...and they made the trombone cool again!!

then I read that Randy recently died at age 59....he made a CD with some guys in 2000, an instrumental tribute to Steely Dan: Garden Party - No Static At All: Steely Dan Tribute... check it out...it's gorgeous

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/1165908/a/no+static+at+all%3A+steely+dan+tribute....htm

Randy and I moved in somewhat different circles, but I thank him for standing up there, standing tall and playing the hell out of that big trombone...I noticed... in Santa Barbara...back in those glory, those Gloria, those glorious days...

No comments: