Sunday, September 1, 2013

Highway 61

Oh, God said to Abraham, "Kill me a son"
Abe says, "Man you must be puttin' me on"



 

so I'm hanging out on Highway...uh...Highway 61...with the fifth daughter on the twelfth night who Told the first father that things weren't right'

My complexion she says is much too white
He said, "Come here and step into the light"
He says, "Hmm you're right..
Let me tell the second mother this has been done"




But the second mother was with the seventh son
And they were both out on Highway 61

hmmmmm

 
so I'm walking around looking for some particular but elusive vibe, it's hot and humid and totally awesome outside and all of a sudden, I see coming around the bend some way cool old cars, then more... then more..it was a caravan of classic hot rods and muscle cars heading up Highway 61 to Ojai...I took pictures and they waved, they peaced signed me, they smiled...tatoos, chicks!!

Well Mack the finger said to Louie the King "I got forty red white and blue shoe strings And a thousand telephones that don't ring Do you know where I can get rid of these things?" And Louie the King said, "Let me think for a minute son"

And he said, "Yes I think it can be easily done Just take everything down to Highway 61"


I can just imagine the labor of love these folks put into these cars...and to see that many on a secluded rural highway on a lazy Sunday morning...well where else can I step back in time whenever I want...every now and then the California fable comes to life and I was just in one scene...

so Labor Day is Monday...and I salute everyone who labored to build American icons like those cars..and those dams, those bridges, those motorcycles, those guitars....those roads...and girls, whoever made girls!

 
 
 
 
and that Highway from Carp to Ojai....carved into California like a vein...with some American blood running through it....that's what I'll celebrate on Labor Day!

No comments: