Tuesday, October 16, 2012

mercy mercy me

oh, things ain't what they used to be...
 
so I 'm trying to find out the reason that the State Parks people  are chopping my beloved eucalyptus trees down at the beach and I email Salud who normally is very prompt with my concerns but this time no reply...

next I email the Environmental Defense Center and a nice lady lawyer gets back to me in a day and says she talked with the parks guy and the reason they are chopping my fucking beloved eucalyptus trees down in Carpinteria is because a few branches have fallen on tents...I held back my laughter while she told me this....then she says some folks have tripped and sued the parks....


so the decision was to cut these 50 plus many years old trees down and replace with a few Sycamores..the nice lady says the sycamores are native and the parks around California are going for the Native theme...sycamores are lovely trees and they line the banks of Rincon Creek, but they do very well with the Eucalyptus over there...and if you put a euc and a syc side by side, the hawks will nest in the euc everytime because they are bigger and the euc fragrance is pleasing to the baby birds...in other words, both the eucs and sycs are what make California great for wildlife!!

but when the nice lady lawyer started praising the native only mindset, I politely told her thanks and tried to hang up, but she kept asking me if I had any concerns..so I told her (nicely) the Parks guys fed her some USDA prime bullshit and I don't believe in all the native hogwash..I told her if the butterflies and hawks and owls like the eucs, then that's good enough for me...and she got the message and finally we ended the conversation...native plants behave just too nice and are very boring and don't thrive in the really gnarly areas...a mix is much better....salt cedar and coastal oaks do well together but the City of Carp is getting rid of the salt cedar at the Bluffs

so that's it..California Parks and the Nature Con have killed thousands of plants and animals in the name of biodiversity and now California is going to be turned into a "Native Only Theme Park" by a bunch of yuppies...


but before the yuppies  invaded, there was this guy, who sent me an interesting email:
NOT about biodiversity- the slaughter of the owls was to cut down on the manpower needed to maintain a conservancy later- more money for the top people if they do not have to pay people to maintain the area later. Now they were getting paid to cut down a little but they tried to eliminate all so no outlay later. The Nature Conservancy has killed billions of animals up front so the top guys make more money later due to lesser costs of maintaining the conservancies.


something about the iceplant there in Carpinteria- in the late 1950s I put in all the iceplant in the mouth of the creek (to increase the water flow rate in the channels that I created by not putting the seeds where I wanted the channels), the State of California Department Of Fish And Game gave me the seeds. UCSB has said that all the iceplant there is a native variety that they put there under a grant- but in fact they put in only 3 or 4 1 foot by 1 foot patches of their"native variety". In other words UCSB scammed somebody for a huge grant, then put in the little I said and then lied about
putting in all of it- that leaves much left over for pay raises for the top guys in the department!

Small bit of history- George Allan Hancock, a big-time oilman, gave the entire Rincon Beach property to the county for a park- after he built a few homes there for a few friends
.

so I went outside for walk and picked some fennel from the side of the road.....and thanked God for the non native plants that give this state some character....

Native Theme Park my ass....what good is the EDC if they don't defend the environment??

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should know the answer to your own question. There is no money in it for the EDC. As you well know, the EDC lives on the attorney fees collected from their shakedown litigation.It would appear that they do not want to dance with the Attorney Generals Office on this issue.

Mick Von Caw said...

I know NOTHING of the sort!

Anonymous said...

Eucalyptus are not native. They don't belong in any area where people congregate. They are dangerous because they tend to drop large branches and because they are messy. They constantly drop leaves and make large messes that are unfit for areas where people live, work or play. They easily uproot and are also a huge fire hazard due to the oil in the tree.

I like Eucs as much as anyone but they have a place. And that place isn't in a state park near people who are camping.