Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Sweet Caroline

good times never seemed so good....

so the Yankees played the D-Backs yesterday and in the 3rd inning at Yankee Stadium, "Sweet Caroline" came blasting out of the loud speakers...that great Neil Diamond song..the song was a tribute to the Red Sox....the Yankees were honoring the people killed or hurt in the Boston Marathon blast..."Sweet Caroline" is the Red Sox theme song which they play at Fenway during the 7th inning stretch..the Yankees and the Red Sox are the biggest rivalry in sports and one I grew up with being born close to Boston...the Yankees are the team I love to hate because they are so good..every now and then the Red Sox beat the Yanks, and that's always fun to watch..that rivalry will continue, and of course I can't really hate the Yankees...but when they played "Sweet Caroline" and everyone in the stands was singing and cheering and standing with Boston... and well...the Yankees are a class act...

I had a dream last night I was driving through Hope Ranch in my old VW beetle and it started raining..then raining real hard....then I couldn't see anything.....the rain turned into white..like a big wall of white smoke...

so someone made some crude backpack bombs and set them to go off at the finish line of the Boston Marathon...Boston, what a great sports town! so runners who came across the finish line were greeted with two big explosions...two bombs designed to maim and kill civilians on a nice day in April..in Boston.....at a sports event...


when I was a kid, my aunts would take me to see the 4th of July fireworks at the waterfront in Gloucester..it was awesome...and no one died

then we'd go to the beach and eat hotdogs and fried clams..walk on the sandy boardwalk and swim in the ocean and creeks...and we'd go home and I'd look forward to seeing my little brown-eyed ponytailed girlfriend who lived down the street..then I'd go up and visit Ms. Broder's grave...up on the hill by the links...then I'd listen to my little red transistor radio in my aunt's yard ..."Venus if you will, please send a little girl for me to thrill"...or maybe a Red Sox game was on and my brother would listen to that...

how someone could think a bomb would scare or change the folks in Boston is beyond me...the marathon will be back next year...as surely as I can hear 'Sweet Caroline" on my transistor radio..

No comments: